On September 3, 2013 I published this post. Check out what’s done, what’s not changing and what I’m keeping on the list for Year Two!
The befores and the plan
Paint the walls, ceiling and doorSee it here! Turn the unsafe half wall into a full wall– Done! Add baseboards and trim-Kinda?
Paint–all the way back in Week 3!
- New ceiling fan-nope, decided I actually like the one that’s there!
Add cabinets and open shelving to the North wall around the stove–Week 16! Merry Christmas to me! Take down the bead board (and relocate the good pieces to the hall bathroom)–also done in Week 3 Repair the plaster walls–Yep, Week 3 again! Someday replace the drawer pulls and knobs–Done in the last 2 weeks of year 1!
The right side of this picture shows where the stove, new cabinets and shelves will go.
Paint–done in Week 2! Figure out a way to make the laminate closet door look 100 years old-I put a pretty knob on it and forget it’s even there!
- *eventually* find out if the floors running through the rest of the house are under the laminate floor (I REALLY hope they are!)-Yeah, no, still haven’t done this. I do want to though!
Paint, paint, paint!–Man! It took me a whole month to get around to this!
- New ceiling fan-it’s in the basement, does that count??
- Fix the closet doors/make them look old (they won’t stay closed and they’re that plain, white fake wood. I hate them.)-aside from paint, haven’t even touched them
- Redo the shelves in the corner closet (seen in the 2nd photo.) The shelves aren’t installed very well and they’re weird heights. It will be my temporary crafts closet and I want to be able to organize my bins.- this ended up not being an issue at all, so it has stayed exactly the same!
Take out the door (on the right in this picture) and wall it up-the layout of this room doesn’t make sense (there are two doors into this room)–Week Two again
Paint–Week 3 again! Move the medicine cabinet that’s over the toilet to over the sink–Week 5
- Change out the faucet, knobs and showerhead-knobs done, no new shower head 😦
- Finish trim around tub-see the plan here
Add bead board to the wall on the left-only took me 7 months!
Paint–Week 3 was busy!
- Replace ceiling fan-again, in the basement
- Finish adding trim around the baseboards-nope, but furniture now covers it so nobody will know unless I rearrange!
Paint the closet (a walk in-I KNOW!)-it got a coat of white at some point early on but I don’t think I blogged it Put outlets on the closet wall and inside closet (so I can have light in there!)-You guessed it, Week 3!
- Add organizers to closet-I’ve started working on this-stay tuned!
- Install carpet/flooring in the closet-still no, but it’s in the plan!
Strip the wall paper (actually already done-thanks mom!) Paint–Week 2! Replace the light fixture–Week 3
- Replace the vanity-I don’t love the vanity but it doesn’t bother me any more
Replace the toilet-Week 2 Replace the medicine cabinet–the switcheroo happened in Week 5 Install outlets in the bathroom (there aren’t any right now!)–Week 3 again!
Living are 1 (soon to be office area)
See that doorway into the green room in the second photo? It’s going away!–Woo hoo Week 2! Paint–Week 4
- Turn the wall sconces over-they were installed upside down and they collect bugs and are a pain to clean-again, ended up not being that big of a deal so I never did it.
Main living area
Paint-Week 4, and not a minute too late-it got baaaaaad in there! Remove the mirrors–Week 2 Remove the tile above the fireplace. The mantle is great and I don’t love, but can live with the tile on the hearth-Week 2 (not pretty!)
eplace the ceiling fan–I replaced the glass shades in Week 7 and now I’m not replacing the fan!
- Create some built ins to the right of the fire place for the TV, DVD player, cable box etc…-I don’t know if I’ll do this. I’m liking the dresser I have there now…
Paint-We painted the bad parts but now I’m thinking I’ll save up for new siding instead of painting the whole thing Replace the front door-This was done on Day 3! The screen door was broken and the front door didn’t lock without a padlock so we got right on that! And then it got an update here! Lay out grass seed/fertilizer this fall and hope for grass next spring–Well, I had grass for a minute but then this happened. So, I’ll try again this year. Trim up the bottom three feet of that blue spruce out front so it doesn’t scrape my car as I pull in and out of my driveway–this got done early on but I must not have blogged about it. ..
- Fix the gate to the left of the house-it scrapes the ground and doesn’t open properly-nope, not done yet
- Plant a garden and
flowers…someday!-flowers happened: roses, peonies and chicks and hens, gladiolas and more gladiolas Build a real fence around the whole yard starting with the corner where the nasty sheds are-eventually have a driveway that leads straight from the street to the alley–Week 10! Tear out the old, ugly fences–Week 6 and more Week 6 Install siding to the laundry room addition–Again with the Week 6es here and here
- Have the apple tree pruned-happening this fall but check out how her year has been! Here, here and here
I don’t have pictures of the tiny entry way (which is one of my favorite parts of the house) but I will take some tomorrow!
Also tomorrow I’ll show you what I’ve already completed!
Now I’m ready for bed!
Wasn’t that fun? Going through all my old posts made me tired all over again! I can’t wait to see what year two holds for me and my house!