I did this backwards, I guess but remember the afters yesterday? Here’s how we made ’em.
There’s a store attached to a Mexican restaurant in town and they came through for me! I found 1 lb bags of corn husks for $5 each. Perfect. I knew that there would be three of us and I knew I wanted to make a practice wreath so I bought 3 bags and hoped that would be enough. (spoiler: it was.)
Each package had three bundles of corn husks and I worked with one bundle at a time. It was impossible to pull the husks apart dry so I put the whole stack in a dish bin with hot water. Some tutorials say to use boiling water but that wasn’t necessary for me.
While the husks were soaking I turned my attention to the pipe insulation. I played around with the size of the wreath and settled on a 51″ length of insulation. I cut each end at an opposite angle and twisted the tube a couple of times as I formed it into a circle.
Then I fit the ends together and wrapped them with lots of duck tape.
You can kind of see the twist by following that plastic line around the circle. See how it starts out on top (if the white tape is 12:00) and then moves around and underneath by the time it comes back around?
Once the husks were softened (it takes no time at all!) I tore them into smaller strips. I wasn’t exact and didn’t care if they were all the same width or not. It’s actually helpful to have them in varying widths because you’ll have smaller spots to fill in around the bigger pieces. I started out hot gluing the strips into tabs with a loop at the top but it too forever and tons of glue. I think I used 30 mini glue sticks just on these. The glue stuck as long as the husk wasn’t too wet. Most of them were too wet and I had to glue and re-glue them several times. I ran out of steam doing this the first night and went to bed.
Somewhere in the night I had the genius idea to staple them instead of gluing. Much faster and no hot glue strings following me around!
For my practice wreath I just started attaching the pieces to the wreath with no real plan. (like my nails? They’re Jamberry-check out my friend’s site!) I thought that wrapping the ends around the wreath would A)help cover the black foam and B) keep everything attached. I went a long my merry way, not checking how it looked.
I should have stepped back and checked before I finished. It was too random for me and I hated how you could still see so much black foam.
Plus I didn’t think about the back which shows through the window on the inside. I was disappointed but glad that I made this test wreath so I would know better for the party.
So, instead of working my way around the outside of the wreath, I placed the husks side by side, worked one row at a time until I had gone all the way around.
The husks dry out pretty quickly. The dry husks are easier to glue on but harder to manipulate so you may find yourself having to pick through your little husk tabs to find one that fits instead of squishing them in. I’m happily surprised with how sturdy they seem to be once they’re dry but, of course, I’ll let you know how it survives winter, spring and summer in storage!
I kept mine simple with a brown ribbon. It’s hard to attach a hanger around because the husks are pretty fluffy. Mine’s hanging on an over the door wreath hanger and it seems to be doing alright.
And it’s even pretty from the back!
So, to break this down:
1-1lb bag of corn husks (yes, ONE bag did 4 wreaths!)-$5
3-pieces pipe insulation-$3.54
2-bags mini glue sticks-$4.94
Total for 4 wreaths-$13.48
I’m now officially obsessed with corn husks and am working on making a garland too. I’d make myself a dress if I had somewhere special to wear it to!