While I was at the grocery store this morning I found these. I’ve never heard of cotinus but the price was right at $1.99 for 5 stems. The leaves are sturdy and waxy so I hope it holds up once it’s in wreath form.
I started out cutting the first bundle into shorter lengths
and stacking them end to end. I alternated the ends at each corner so all the woodsy stems wouldn’t be on top of each other and then held them together with some floral wire.
I wasn’t sure how many layers I was going to do (like usual, I didn’t plan any of this out.) I wanted it to be fuller than this (1 layer)
but I liked the look of two layers.
Then I pulled some thick satiny ribbon from my stash and put a loop at the two top corners.
Look at those colors!
I have no idea how these will dry. The leaves could all fall off leaving me with a square stick wreath, which would be sad. BUT, if it dries well I think I’ll give it a dusting of gold spray paint and figure out a way to pack it away for next fall!
Since I only used two packages I stuck the last 5 stems into a vase and put it on my mantle. I’m finding that I really love the look of something tall and green up there-if I’m lucky they’ll last!
PS-sorry for my absence! I had some technical difficulties which kept me from posting but I’ve been busy, busy so I have a lot more to show you!