I had a list of things I wanted to get done over the weekend and I thought that the living room base boards would be the easiest to tackle.  I already had the boards and they just needed to be attached.  Easy peasy, right?  No.

This story starts here:

shed2

That’s the previous owners’ chicken coop which I turned into a shed.

Inside it looks like this:

shed1I try not to go in there very often, for obvious reasons.  In this shed you will find: spiders, the foot board from the guest bed, bead board from the kitchen, some elk antlers and way in the back is the trim I needed for the living room.

I held my breath and dove in.

bb1And found that one of the boards looked like this.

While I love that it’s original, I just couldn’t bring myself to putting up a board in such bad shape.

bb2Plus, when I pulled the giant rusty nails out the board cracked more.  And it splintered when I tried to cut it.  Yeah, these guys were done.

bb3

So I bought some shiny new boards.  I thought that I had the perfect stain color to match the original base boards and figured that while not easy peasy, this will at least be easy.

Nope.

bb4The color I was sure was right was Early American.  On the fir trim around the door it’s a close match.  On this pine, no.

bb5

So then I put on a coat of Special Walnut because I had it on hand.  Still no.

bb6

So all that with a top coat of Gunstock was the winner.  Still not perfect but it has that orangey tone to it which seems to work.

So now it’s good to go, right?

Kind of.

Just to remind you, this is what the wall looked like before:

bb2bb3bb1

Not awful but not great.

bb5

And now, a lot less awful!

bb4

But that water stain is pretty gross.  (Mom?  Dad?  Want to come over for dinner?  andhelprefinishmylivingroomfloors?  : ) )

Originally (I’m thinking more last owners than original owners) someone put trim up around the tile by the supposed-to-be-fireplace.  I didn’t like it so I stained a narrower piece of wood to go around it.  I followed the same stain steps and it came out darker.  Oh well.

bb6

I wanted to be fancy and do my first miter cuts but failed.  Horribly.  I have no idea why this was so hard for me!  Now I need to go back to the store and get a piece for the front of the tile bump out, stain it and then put it up.

And that’s why I didn’t get the base boards up in my living room this weekend.

But wait, there’s more!

bb7

bb8

I can now officially say that there is no more lathe and plaster visible in my house!

And I should have set that cover back in place before taking this picture.  Hellloooo mustard yellow!

-A

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “The Living Room Baseboards

  1. Amazing how every little renovation job turns into an ordeal of find it, discard it, buy new, match it, WHEW! You did a great job on your baseboards. Jo @ Let’s Face the Music

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s