You may remember that the heavy winds last week blew over one of my trellises.

Yesterday’s snow is now only a memory so I decided to take advantage of the dry, warmer day and repair my poor, sad trellis.

trellis1This is what I started with today; the vine bent over and my broken trellis holding it up off the ground.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI used the same trellis frame but stapled some wire fence up over it.  I have three rolls of this in my backyard-the last owners used it to partition off a garden area and I haven’t found any other use for it over the last 2 years.

I also screwed the trellis right into the house.  Take that wind!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI did the same thing for the small side

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAand again ran some twine down to support the clematis.  This time I made a loop that I can wrap around the plant

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAbut also take off on nights/days when the temperatures drop below freezing.  I’m sure it would probably be okay uncovered but I don’t really want to take the chance.  In a few weeks I’ll be able to keep it uncovered permanently.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAI also used bits of twine to attach the big clematis to the trellis.  I really want this to fill up this whole trellis but it has a tendency to bunch up if left on its own.  Hopefully separating it and training it up will get it when I want it to go!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThere are other vines that aren’t quite tall enough to reach the trellis so I used my loop technique again to guide it over where I want it.


I’m guessing that by the end of May this will have grown all the way up the trellis!  I can’t wait!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s