A Garden Project

The clematis out front grew like crazy with very little help from me.



Those flowers!


So when I found a pin linking to this site I figured it was worth a try.

I bought rooting hormone at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago with this project in mind and today I finally got around to it!



I’m not going to go through the whole process as I’m not an expert!  Check out the link above for full instructions!



For these two pots I followed her instructions exactly.  I put them on the table in my living room since plants seem to love it there!

Then I noticed I had a bunch of cuttings (from trimming the above pieces) that I didn’t want to go to waste.

So I filled a glass with water, added some rooting hormone (I don’t really know if that’ll work!) and stuck it in the kitchen window



I guess even if it doesn’t work, at least it’s pretty!

I’m in no way a good enough gardener to start trying “experiments” but I’m going to give it a go.  Everything I ready said I should trim back the clematis anyways so I figured (hoped!) this wouldn’t hurt!



Shade Cloth, Part IV

I’m starting to get sick of talking about this shade cloth.  I mean, I love the cloth but I’m sick of it coming down!  The few days that it stayed up I noticed a 15 degree difference between the temperature outside and inside my house so I definitely want to find a solution for keeping that sucker up!

We’ve been getting gusty winds and rain the last few weeks (thankfully!) that have been knocking my cloth down.  Here’s what I came home to Tuesday night:



From the driveway side it looked like my house had a veil



So, back to the hardware store I went where I picked up two more plumbing bracket things and another dowel.



Now that I know how to use a saw I’ll chop this dowel down a little when I take this down in the fall but for now I’m just happy that this stayed up through the wind we got last night.


Henry was not happy that he didn’t get to help with this project, hence his creeper stare through the curtains.

So, my goal is to not talk about this shade cloth anymore!  At least until next spring when I paint the post and dowels white and hem the cloth to fit the space better.  🙂




If you  are afraid of spiders, skip this post.  Seriously.

Still here?  Check out this guy:



He’s just chilling by my back door.  Let’s zoom in:



Two things about this picture:

1.  Yes, that’s the flash glinting of one of his eyes.  This spider is so big you can see his freaking eyes.  Gross.

2.  Doesn’t it look like he’s playing cymbals?  As creepy as this is, that made me giggle.

It’s been a busy day around this house-I can’t wait to show you tomorrow!


Shade Cloth Update

In this post you will see a DIY fail and dead grass.  Sorry about that.

I got home on Thursday and found my shade cloth blown off one side, flipped over and up and caught on my satellite dish.  I unhooked it from the dish but it sat like this



until this morning.

I didn’t want to drive the 20 minutes to the nearest Lowe’s (three towns away!) so I went to the hardware store in town.

I wandered the aisles until something inspired me.

First I found these



1″ pipe holder things.  I don’t really know what they’re called but I knew they would work.  Then I was on the hunt for something sturdy that was over 6 feet long.

I found this



a handle for a broom, mop or whatever.  The guy working there looked at me like I was crazy but I knew it would work (plus it was cheaper than a wooden clothes rod.)

I went out front to assess the damage and immediately found the problems:



Yeah, that’s not holding much up…



and the metal rod ended up being pretty flimsy.



So, in a matter of minutes, I had these screwed in



and it all hung back up.  This solution cost me less than $10 (cheaper than the original curtain rod!)

I’ll have to add painting that wooden handle white to my list of things to do when fall hits but for now, I’m living with it.

I’m confident this set up will work, but I’ve said that before so I’m not holding my breath.



(Mostly) Finished Patio

A few months ago my mother and I had an idea to move the bricks from my driveway to under the living room window in my front yard:


We thought it would be a simple little project that we could get done over two days.  I wasn’t looking for perfection and thought I would really like it even if it was kind of uneven so my mom dug up the flower bed that was here and started to loosely lay down the bricks.

My dad nixed this idea and said that we needed to do it “right.”

So, during the hottest week of the year (so far) we (he):


Put in a frame


Dug out all the dirt (I helped with this!)


Added gravel


Compacted it


Put down plastic to block weeds


Then put in sand and leveled it


And finally started putting down bricks!  Thankfully, this step went pretty quickly!



I left that back row because I thought we were going to have to cut bricks to fit into that back edge but luckily, for once, a project went better than expected!


It’s hard to tell in this picture but one row of bricks fit perfectly in the back row.  This morning we put sand down and called this done!  It needs another sweeping and probably a little more sand but this is a fully functioning seating area as it is now!


I’ve spent the last week searching for sun sails (white!) to put over this patio but I haven’t found anything that is the right size.  I’m hoping that the shade will make this a pleasant place to sit outside but also I’m hoping that the shade over that window will keep my house cooler.  Now I’m thinking I’m just going to have to buy yards of sun blocking fabric and make my own cover.  I also want a little table and some flower pots so I plan to start hitting some end of season sales next month.

So, I have to say my dad was right.  This looks much better done right and I’m happy to know that I should be able to enjoy this little space for many years to come!  Thanks dad!