I had a list of things I wanted to get done over the weekend and I thought that the living room base boards would be the easiest to tackle. I already had the boards and they just needed to be attached. Easy peasy, right? No.
This story starts here:
That’s the previous owners’ chicken coop which I turned into a shed.
Inside it looks like this:
I try not to go in there very often, for obvious reasons. In this shed you will find: spiders, the foot board from the guest bed, bead board from the kitchen, some elk antlers and way in the back is the trim I needed for the living room.
I held my breath and dove in.
While I love that it’s original, I just couldn’t bring myself to putting up a board in such bad shape.
Plus, when I pulled the giant rusty nails out the board cracked more. And it splintered when I tried to cut it. Yeah, these guys were done.
So I bought some shiny new boards. I thought that I had the perfect stain color to match the original base boards and figured that while not easy peasy, this will at least be easy.
So then I put on a coat of Special Walnut because I had it on hand. Still no.
So all that with a top coat of Gunstock was the winner. Still not perfect but it has that orangey tone to it which seems to work.
So now it’s good to go, right?
Just to remind you, this is what the wall looked like before:
Not awful but not great.
And now, a lot less awful!
But that water stain is pretty gross. (Mom? Dad? Want to come over for dinner? andhelprefinishmylivingroomfloors? : ) )
Originally (I’m thinking more last owners than original owners) someone put trim up around the tile by the supposed-to-be-fireplace. I didn’t like it so I stained a narrower piece of wood to go around it. I followed the same stain steps and it came out darker. Oh well.
I wanted to be fancy and do my first miter cuts but failed. Horribly. I have no idea why this was so hard for me! Now I need to go back to the store and get a piece for the front of the tile bump out, stain it and then put it up.
And that’s why I didn’t get the base boards up in my living room this weekend.
But wait, there’s more!
I can now officially say that there is no more lathe and plaster visible in my house!
And I should have set that cover back in place before taking this picture. Hellloooo mustard yellow!